Sunday 24 November 2013

Alterations made along the way (ADD TO THIS)

Below is a list of the alterations I can remember making along the progress of my music video/coursework. I have roughly estimated when I think these alterations/evaluations occurred, added some along the way, and included a description of them, why they happened and how they have effected my workload/progress etc.. I found this task really insightful as it showed me the progress I have made on this journey and how far I have come.

  • Song change (03/09/13): At first I had intentions to use "Only Love" by Ben Howard as the song for my music video, however I then changed it to "Love Story" by Taylor Swift. Later, I realised that this song was actually too cheesy for me to base a music video on as I was not even that keen on the song itself. I figured that if I did not have a huge passion for the song then I would struggle to develop an understanding for the lyric meaning and be able to interpret it in different unique ways. So, I changed my song choice to "Guns and Horses" by Ellie Goulding, my permanent song choice now. I have always loved this song and understood the lyrics and their meaning, so I found it so much easier to adapt my own ideas to it and apply many different concepts.

  • Work change (04/09/13): I had completed a lot of work based on the previous song I had chosen, and so now I had changed my song completely, I had to re-do a lot of my work which took a while.

  • Music video concept (14/10/13): At the start I had researched Ellie Goulding's intended meaning for Guns and Horses so that I could adapt my ideas properly. I discovered that she made the song about an internet relationship and its consequences, so I decided I would replicate these ideas into my own and film a couple having an internet relationship, and their break-up. However, I soon realised that actually, this concept was quite bland and boring, and it did not have enough of a build-up or climax to it. So, after speaking to a media teacher Mr Fisher, I decided to change my idea. I decided I wanted to do a half narrative, half performance-based video like before except make it where my actress walks through the woods, lost, and discovers different props that link to different stages/flashbacks of her previous relationships. Except, what the audience will realise, is that these props are actually figures of the protagonist's imagination because she is suffering from heart-break causing her to imagine things from stress. In the narrative flashbacks, I had decided to present "the five different stages of a relationship", which are: 1. just-met stage 2. comfortable/inlove stage 3. distrust stage 4. arguments/break-up stage 5. acceptance stage. This idea is now my permanent idea now.
This was what my music video was originally going to be like:



  • Script/storyboard change (15/10/13): Due to the changes stated above in my music video concept, I have had to change my script and storyboard to plan for my new ideas.


  • Shots used change (16/10/13): I had already started filming according to my previous idea on the "internet relationship", so I had quite a few shots for this concept, however fortunately not many as of course I changed the idea. So, I had to delete all of these shots and obviously re-film. The one draw-back from this is that I am not 100% sure if I will still be using the footage of my friend Jessica performing her gymnastics, because I don't know if I will need them due to all of the footage I already have.

  • Footage (20/11/13): The narrative footage I have taken so far is quite a lot, but of course I would rather have too much than not enough so this is a positive thing. However, I wanted my music video to be half performance, half narrative but I am not sure whether this will be possible as I want to fit a lot of my narrative shots in instead of letting them go to waste, so the alteration in this is that I think I will perhaps now have more narrative shots than performance shots, which is fine.

  • Structure of music video (02/12/13): After having filming both my performance and narrative footage, I began editing my music video on Adobe Premiere Pro and figured that I have a lot of footage. This gave me the problem of not being able to fit everything in unless I use many fast shots that would not match the lyrics, which I did not want to do. Therefore, I had to re-organise the originally-planned structure of my music video to make sure that every vital "stage" of the narrative fitted in with my music video, along with the performance, along with there also being a fair balance between the two. I hope that I have successfully managed this as it was quite hard to do.

  • Stages change 14/12/13: After I began editing my music video, I realised that the song wasn't actually long enough for me to be able to fit in all of my prop links (what I mean by this is when I was going to get Georgina to find all five props and they would merge into five different flashbacks of the stages of the couple's relationship) and all of my performance shots without it looking less balanced and professional. So, instead of incorporating all five props to link to the couple's relationship like originally planned, I actually ended up only linking only three props: the horse medals which linked to the first date, the spoon which linked to the comfortable/inlove stage, then the arguments/break-up stages were incorporated afterwards randomly, then I used a letter at the end to finally link to the acceptance stage. I think this worked quite well, because if I linked every prop then I believe my music video would become repetitive and predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment